Saturday 23 July 2016

Book Report: ONE DOG AND HIS BOY

This book is called, ‘ONE DOG AND HIS BOY’ written by Eva Ibbotson. It is about a boy named Hal who loves dogs. All Hal ever wanted in his life was a dog but his mother can’t stand the thought of a, ‘filthy creature’ messing her spotless house up. On Hal’s birthday, he gets a dog but doesn’t know that it’s only for the weekend. His father had assumed that Hal would get tired of the responsibility it takes to own a dog. But, Hal doesn’t. So when Hal doesn’t see Fleck (his dog) when he returns from a dentist appointment, he’s heartbroken. Figuring out that his no-good parents are behind the disappearance of Fleck, he decides to get Fleck back and run away to his grandparent’s house. When he goes back to the Dog Rental and frees Fleck, he becomes friends with the cleaner’s younger sister, Pippa, who then frees the remaining five dogs dogs and joins Hal on his journey. They start at the train station and run away. As predicted, Hal’s parents get worried and send a professional detective to find them. Since they are rich, they also put up a poster to inform citizens that Hal is missing with a big reward guaranteed for anyone who finds him. Hal, Pippa, Fleck and the five other dogs encounter many dangers along the way. One of my favourite is when Hal and Fleck almost get kidnapped but smart Pippa and the five other dogs use their skills to free them. The eight travel a long way, and along the way, each of the five dogs from the rental find their true and kind, owner. When Hal, Pippa, Fleck and one last dog (whose owner is Pippa) reach Hal’s grandparents’ house, Hal gets to stay there for a few days while Pippa goes back home with her parents. Hal’s parents then come to take Hal back home and agree to keep Fleck. Hal goes back to his colossal house after a few days. All the dogs have found their true owners and now bark happily ever after.

What I like about this book:
  • This book is very touching. Although dogs aren’t my favorite, I started thinking about what animals and pets have to go through. Is their life like this? Hopeless, sad, relying on cruel people for help? If you are a dog-lover, I highly recommend this book for you. Even cat-lovers (like me) will like it. This book is joyful, sad and altogether very engaging and inspiring.
  • I learnt a deep lesson while reading this book. It’s ‘not to judge a book by its cover’. This is portrayed best in two parts of the story. The first part is when Hal’s mother judges Fleck as a dirty, filthy creature while Fleck hardly messes the house at all. Secondly, Hal’s mother and father are both not fond of Hal’s grandparents as they live by the sea in a very small and smimple cottage and think that they would bring their reputation down.
  • It appears to me that Eva Ibbotson became quite passionate about dogs or how dogs were treated, a little while after she realised what her friendly puppy was to her. I find this very interesting and inspiring because she does what she thinks is right and stands up for what she believes in.
  • While the story was a touching and inspiring one, I found the plot quite simple and similar to some other Dog stories I have read. The storytelling was engaging but I was still looking for something that could really add to the action in the book.
I WOULD RATE THIS BOOK 7 OUT OF 10 RATING!

FIND OUT WHAT I MEAN BY READING, ‘ONE DOG AND HIS BOY’!
YOU CAN BUY IT HERE ON AMAZON FOR $7.99!

YOU CAN BUY IT HERE ON GUARDIAN BOOKSHOP FOR £5.73!





2 comments:

  1. Love it Adya. I love dogs & cats too. Its a beautiful story of kindness. And it nice the way your story flows. Tell me what do think of dogs being free...you know like not having any owner at all. Just free like you and me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunty Sandy. I thought about this a lot.

    I think it's good for dogs to be free and do their own free will. Wouldn't it be good if we could all do this and be there to help them if they need it?
    What I really don't like is when any type of animal is taken into a pet shop and not treated very well. That is not what I like or want to hear.

    Love,

    Adya

    ReplyDelete