Saturday 31 October 2015

BOOK REPORT : Rain Reign

This book is called RAIN REIGN, written by Ann. M Martin. It is about a girl called Rose Howard and she is obsessed with homonyms and prime numbers. Rose had a dog named Rain and she named him that, especially, so that her dog would also have a homonym name. Rose is in grade 5 in Hatford Elementary and has autism, a mental disorder, in which case, she has to have an aid. In Grade 5, her teacher Mrs. Kushel doesn’t think Rose is a very good student and neither does Mrs. Leibler, her aid. Every time Rose cries or has an outburst, Mrs. Leibler says, “Do you need a step into the hall?” and then Mrs. Leibler tells Rose that she doesn’t need to cry or homonyms and prime numbers are not everything and so on. But one day, Rose is watching the television and the Weather forecast says that a big hurricane called hurricane Susan is coming! She tells her inconsiderate dad and he says, “Nothing will happen”. Later, they prepare for the hurricane Susan. Rose is ordered to go to sleep early because she keeps reciting the prime numbers. Rose and Rain are not very happy about this because this is the second time that day they had to change their routine. In the middle of the night, Rose’s dad lets Rain out to pee and Rain gets lost and can’t find her way home! Rose is mad at her father and tries to make a plan with her Uncle Weldon to call every animal shelter in New York to find Rain. The Happy Tails Shelter has Rain but then Rose finds out that Rain’s actual name is Olivia and that she belongs to somebody else. Rose decides that she will give Rain (Olivia) back to her rightful owners and still be happy. After finding the owners she gives Olivia back to the Henderson family and still feels good about herself!

What I like about this book is:
Ø The way that the author included the homonyms of each word where they had it
Ø The way that Rose introduces the different parts of her story while telling it for example: Now I am going to introduce the second main character of my story and her name is Rain
Ø My favorite part of the book was when she was being empathetic and she stood up and said, “This is not my actual dog, the actual owners must be missing her so much” and gave Rain to her actual owners!
Ø The author really sucks me into the story and I feel like I can see and feel what Rose is feeling
Ø My favorite character is Rose because she is brave and has a lot of courage

What I wish the author did:
Ø Well, maybe the author could have added one last chapter describing how Rose and her new friend in school went along and how different her life was without Rain

 
I WOULD GIVE IT A 10 OUT OF 10 RATING! 

FIND OUT WHAT I MEAN BY READING RAIN REIGN! 

YOU CAN BUY IT HERE FOR $9.71 ON AMAZON.


18 comments:

  1. Adya... A very well written review... I like the flow and wish you all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nani actually the book was very nice so it was easy to get my ideas down...Love Adu

      Delete
  2. Adya...loved the review and the way you have written it -makes me want to read the book. You are truly gifted -keep writing and shining. very proud of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunty Shalini... The book was very nice I would recommend it even to adults...

      Delete
  3. A well written book review, Adu! Some great improvement since your first review! Keep it up! :D Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gayathri didi... Mama said that this report is improved from my first one.. I will continue writing :)

      Delete
  4. A very engaging book review, I loved the way you have written about Rose and her feelings. keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you bua ji ..... :) I like the feelings too but it was really interesting......

      Delete
  5. Adya, very impressive book review! Rose's feelings are well captured. Smooth flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aditya Mama....the feelings were nice actually and it was really interesting...... Mama also said that there was a smooth flow

      Delete
  6. Excellent review adu. Great progress from the earlier ones. Looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks papa. I'll just keep trying to make my reports better :D

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Adu! Splendid! I like the way you have explained the feelings of Rain! Look forward to reading more :D - Harsha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harsha Mami... I am just about to post a new report on another book . Please do check that out :D

      Delete
  9. seems like a really interesting book. v nice observations. i agree, i too was curious to know what happened to Rose after Rain. how would you have wanted it to be?

    it'll b real fun to hypothetically pen a sequel to it no? in Adya's words :-D would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You Sandy... I actually am not so sure how I would want it to be... I will get back to you on that and if you are interested here is a book report on Jonathan Livingston Seagull: http://youngbookreporters.blogspot.sg/2015/12/book-report-jonathan-livingston-seagull.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Sandy...... I said I'll get back to u and here I am! MAYBE Ann M martin could have written the chapter about how Rose and her new friend Parvati, I think, went along and how Rose was going on with her uncle instead of dad :) Do you agree with my ideas? :D

      Delete